Sunday, September 6, 2015

Peaceminusone -- a very, very, late review

During my holidays in August(2015), I felt bored and wanted to take off for somewhere. I decided to visit Seoul Museum of Art to see 'Peaceminusone'-the art exhibition held by G-Dragon. I was wondering what 'Peaceminusone' meant. 

When I bought a ticket, I got a pamphlet, which looked unique with black background and gray letters (It had only two colors!). It said that 'Peaceminusone' was the name of G-Dragon's imaginary world - a peaceful Utopia(Peace), a real world of scarcity(Minus), and an interface between them(One). 


This exhibition was G-Dragon's imaginary stage for visual arts -not for music- collaborated with domestic and foreign artists.

 When I entered the museum, I chuckled seeing several words attached on the wall.

In each word, one spelling was missing! 
(Peace minus one ... spelling?)
 




After renting an audio guide(Korean audio guide was recorded with GD's own voice), I went to Non-Fiction museum, a place coexisting with real and imaginary world.

In this place, there were GD's various collections - art works collected by GD, costume GD wore on his stage, items designed by GD, etc. 

The first thing I saw here was a big clock. This clock always indicates 8 - a lucky number for GD.(GD was born on August 18, 1988.)





















Among various art works, these are my favorites. In the first photo, there were several cubes covered with GD's pictures. GD said (in his audio guide) he chose his favorite photos. Interestingly enough, most of photos GD chose were his funny or unique faces (not beautiful ones). (He is one of a kind, isn't he?)

An unusual chair in the second photo is a chair order made by GD. With GD's request, original 'red' back of the chair was replaced by a golden dragon. 'Is it for sitting on, or just for display?' I wasn't sure of it, but it caught my eyes. 

Pictures in the third photo had an interesting story. GD said he had visited the artist by himself. I loved these pictures like GD did, so I took a picture of them. 


Normally, I don't like this kind of picture, but vivid colors in this picture attracted me.

Bang & Lee's '(Deep Sigh) Untelevised. Revolution on wheels'
 This is made up of various types of stage lightning, sound, and cameras shooting visitors on the stage in real time. Seen from the front, this place seems like one of visual arts. However, when I stood in front of the "REVOLUTION" and turned around, I realized various stage lightning and cameras were shooting me. In this hall, does GD want to give a chance for his fans to feel like stars in the spotlight? I smiled to myself. Thank you, but no thank you, GD. I know how much difficult it is to 'be myself' when I live in a self-conscious life. I am eager to be 'free.'


'The landscape of Peaceminusone' taken by Park Hyung-geun. 
Although I loved all his photos, I liked these two ones most.


'Untitled G-Dragon, a space of no name' created by Kwon Oh-sang.

He made this statue plastered with GD's pictures floating around the internet. Apparently, this statue represents a battle between an angel and a demon. But surprisingly, both of them are GD himself. The angel is trampling on the demon aiming at him with a long mike stand. A singer's weapon is a mike, so it seems like it represents GD's internal conflict. This statue, reflected in mirrors of the room, can be seen in various angles.







  'Chronicle of the Hip Hop' created by Son Dong-hyun.

This painting depicts the word 'HIP HOP' on it.  In each letter, several hip hop musicians- whom GD likes or by whom GD is inspired- are drawn. It looks like an oriental painting, but all letters are alphabets, and it contains the history of hip hop. All of them are well in harmony with the overall mood. I was moved and amazed by its novelty.



Michael Scoggins' 'I can't breathe'.

Among several notebook drawings, this one caught my eye. In this supersized sheet of lined composition paper, Michael wrote 'I can't breathe' from beginning to end. "I can't breathe!" was the exclamation made by a black man, Eric Garner, while being put in a police chokehold. It is said that Michael brought to mind Eric Garner when he listened to GD's 'Breathe.'





   Honestly, I didn't expect much when I visited here. I just wanted to refresh myself, and that's all. After seeing this art exhibition, however, I found out I had enjoyed much. Peaceminusone is an art exhibition coming one step closer to the public. With GD's narration, I could listen to the behind stories of each work and how he communicated with each artist. Although I didn't have an eye for art works, I could enjoy them. Oh, one more thing. I felt free to take pictures of each art work, which is almost impossible for other exhibition.


No comments:

Post a Comment